Sunday, February 19, 2006

Esmay re: Wetterling, et al.,

From here:
Regardless whether the Democrats endorse Wetterling or Tinklenberg, Esmay is the Republican Candidate with the best chance of defeating them in the general election. “I know I have the best chance of beating the Democratic candidates, whoever they may be, because I am the only Republican candidate in this race who can drive the campaign to the issues. I do not have to defend the sins of the past, like legislative mistakes or a history of political gamesmanship. I can talk about my experiences of serving in the military and my success in the business community,” said Esmay. “I will be able to bring my knowledge of national security and business to the forefront of the campaign, which is what the 6th District voters want.”

The Esmay campaign will not have to change strategy, since the campaign has been preparing since day one for Wetterling to enter the race. Esmay will continue to focus on earning the endorsement of Republican delegates in the 6th District race.
Esmay has some good points. The only thing going against Esmay, IMO, is the thing he is selling (not having to defend the sins of the past) may be the one thing that may be used against him by other candidates (not having a proven legislative track record, not being a proven commodity).

Don't get me wrong, I am not discounting Esmay. I am currently an undecided delegate who may go with Esmay when all is said and done, because I believe he has both the military experience and the private business experience that will serve him well on the job. But at the same time, he is in the middle of a field of experienced, proven candidates who would also be exemplary candidates.

A field of great candidates; two of them personal friends of mine, will make a very difficult choice to make come the endorsing convention. May we as a party be always so blessed.


(Filed under elections)