Friday, April 29, 2005

Yes I am a supporter, but... this really irks me...

I just heard on the radio that, with regard to his Social Security Plan, President Bush went out of his way to ensure that poorer workers would enjoy a greater rate of return on their contributions to Social Security than would middle or upper income workers. Now there is not a doubt in my mind that Bush's advisers came up with this concept in an effort to make the plan more palatable to those of our electorate to whom class envy is a way of life.

As one can plainly tell by the social security logo in the left column of this blog, and as by virtue of my membership on the Blogs for Bush blogroll, I am a big supporter of the President and his policies. But every once in a while (can you say immigration policy?) he does or says something that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. This is one of those occasions.

Why the class envy card? Isn't it good enough to say (or to plan) that everyone's rate of return will be higher with his new program than with the current one? Given the track record of the stock market and funds over time, there is no doubt in my mind that this would indeed be the case.

I just hope that the current mental illness which seems to have hit the Republican party as of late has not spread to the executive branch of our government. Or if it has, that the executive branch (along with the rest of the Republican party) will find a cure for it soon.