Monday, June 13, 2005

Schwarzenegger may have something...

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is calling for a special election which, in part, seeks to prohibit union contibutions from being used for political purposes. As a non-union educator, I have and continue to be thankful that none of my paycheck is going toward supporting political or moral causes to which I am diametrically opposed. I have known many right-leaning colleagues who have long bemoned that their union dues were going to support political policies and candidates that were against their views or wishes. Or, just as bad, to support politically-motivated educational policy initiatives that were against their personal views of best educational practice.

If Schwarzenegger succeeds in this endeavor, it is hopeful that the movement will spread nationwide, and that the original intent and purpose of the Union (better working conditions and wages for members) will again come to the forefront, and that the days of the unions as vest-pocket arms of political parties may come to a close. But I'm not holding my breath.