Friday, May 25, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend...

My Grandfather was a veteran of WWI; my father is a veteran of WWII; and my uncle is a veteran of the Korean war. Myself, I cannot serve my country as I was then and would now be medically excluded from doing so. I am not fit to shine these men's boots, and I stand in awe of those who have served, and continue to serve today.

I am wholly appreciative of those who came before us; who made the ultimate sacrifice for the freedoms that our society is so apt to take for granted today.

But if you'll allow me to have a moment of selfishness; I would like to take this post to honor our favorite soldier, our son, Doug.

Doug enlisted and attended boot camp during the summer of his junior year in high school, knowing from the beginning that deployment to Iraq was very likely, if not a certainty. Doug is smart, was a good student, and a star swimmer and football player. His avenues were wide open. He didn't need to join the military. His goal was to spend a life in service, first as a soldier, and then as a Minnesota state trooper (he's going to go to school in Alexandria for law enforcement this fall). Doug has always had a "can do!" spirit. He eschewed the normal vices associated with high school, such as drinking, drugs, etc., although I'm sure he had more than ample opportunity to partake in such things.

Doug had a higher calling, and he rose to the occasion. He is most certainly a better man than I!

He's been in Iraq since March, 2006; and due to an extension in his tour is not scheduled to come back until sometime in July or August.

Our son, Our Hero!

Thanks, Doug, for your selfless service to your country!

HOOAH!~