Friday, July 18, 2008

Confused yet?

In a brilliant piece at NRO, Victor Davis Hansen sums up the Obama/defeat wing of the DNC:
I think a conventional narrative is slowly forming about Iraq something like the following:
I supported the successful three-week war. I opposed the flawed occupation. My principled criticism, however, led to the salvation of Iraq, which is important and necessary. Yet I did not support the idea of being in Iraq, but now don’t oppose it either. My model of intervention in Afghanistan was the proper one; difficulties there are due either to others’ improper implementation or an unwise diversion of resources to Iraq. If the president employs unilateral action, he should be more multilateral; if multilateral, he is an outsourcer and should by more directly involved and unilateral.
Just remember the details of this narrative, monitor how it is modified to fit the daily pulse of the battlefield, and then almost everything we hear makes sense.
Perhaps to a brilliant mind like yours, VDH. As for me, I'm still trying to figure out why Americans continue engage in a death-wish for defeat for their own.

Perhaps it is a throwback analogous to other species feeling the need to eat their own young.