Thursday, December 06, 2007

Thoughts on the Day...

I don't have a lot of time to post tonight, but just a few thoughts on the day...

First, when I heard the NIE's report the other day that Iran hasn't been seeking nukes since 2003, it hit me as just a little bit more than a brain disconnect. After all, it flied in the face of everything I've been hearing, since 2001 (this year included).

The report concludes that Iran "bowed to international pressure" in its decision to supposedly halt its nuclear program in 2003.

My question: If Ahmawhackjob did indeed bow to international pressure in its decision to halt its nuclear ambitions, ostensibly to give the message, "Hey, don't invade us--we're really not all that bad!" then why the even-recent rhetoric to "blow Israel off the map?" If one abandons nukes because they're afraid of international pressure, then wouldn't it be defeating the purpose by continuing to talk as if you had nukes or were still looking for them? Wouldn't that be the same kind of denial that ultimately got Saddam into trouble? Wouldn't a government wanting to avoid an invasion rather take a Qaddafy-like approach?

The more I look into this matter, the more putrid-smelling it becomes.

My main man Fred Thompson makes the most sense of anyone I've read or heard on the subject.

Next on the agenda--the Romney "JFK'esque "Don't be afraid of my religion" speech.

Truth be told, I was never afraid of Romney's Mormonism. I was more (and continue to be more) afraid of his being a "successful" governor of one of the most liberal states in the Union. The perpetual home of Sens.- for- life Ted Kennedy and John Kerry, for cripe's sake! For all we know, a Romney candidacy will be George Bush v. 2.0 in terms of social spending and lack of immigration enforcement, and without George Bush's lifelong convictions on the abortion issue, to boot!

As far as I'm concerned, there's a lot more 'splainin' and cowtowing to do in those departments than WRT Romney's possible allegiance to the ideals of Joseph Smith.

At the very least, Romney sucked up all the political oxygen for the day, which was a brilliant move on his part in keeping his name at the forefront of the news cycle.

When it comes down to it, I truly suspect that's what it was all about to begin with.