Saturday, October 08, 2005

The RNC is passing the hat ....hope it stays empty.

Kevin had this post regarding why conservatives are so mad at Bush regarding the Miers pick:
Trust Bush?? Excuse me? Trust?!? Why?? He has already slapped his supporters around so much I could charge him with 38th degree domestic assault. Spending. Immigration. Social Security. Blah Blah Blah, I already listed some yesterday and Bainbridge has more I didn't even think of.
and
The base wanted it's red meat. Bush put a package in the freezer and said "I promise it's a juicy steak but you'll have to wait till later to find out". Conveniently, that "later" will be well after he's exited the dining hall and we've been asked to pick up the check.
As much as it pains me to agree with Kevin on this (not that I have problems agreeing with Kevin, it's just that the truth hurts in this case), agree with Kevin I do. I just happened to get one of those calls again from the RNC begging for money. I just about laughed in their face.

I told the solicitor that I am a delegate, and I pointed out how, despite our busting our balls this last decade to develop the "perfect storm" (Republican held Congress, Republican President) Bush still slapped his base in the face on so many issues--why even bother to work to hold that majority?

I told them to give me a call in a few months and I'll wait and see if the Republican party gives me anything to support (at this rate I won't hold my breath).

I certainly hoped that everyone he called tonight told him the same thing. Goddam it--I'm tired of the base, who has worked so friggen hard to put Bush and the rest of the Republicrats in office, and to support them through thick and thin, getting nothing but table scraps. Yes, Kevin. It's time we let them know that we're through being the "battered wives" of the Republican establishment. Go find another patsy.

***UPDATE*** It would appear that Robert Bork agrees:
But the other level is more worrisome, in a way: it’s kind of a slap in the face to the conservatives who’ve been building up a conservative legal movement for the last 20 years. There’s all kinds of people, now, on the federal bench and some in the law schools who have worked out consistent philosophies of sticking with the original principles of the Constitution. And all of those people have been overlooked. And I think one of the messages here is, don’t write, don’t say anything controversial before you’re nominated.


***Also, Jeff Jakouba shares some similar concerns.

Jeff also directed me to this post at Whirled Views that compares this nomination with Bush the elder's fatal faux pas, entitled, Read my lips.