Sunday, March 11, 2007

In the presence of heroes...Update II

I, along with my 16-year old, spent a bit of the day at the St. Cloud V.A., helping out with their bingo activity. There were vets of all ages there, from WWII through OIF-I. It was an unbelievably rewarding experience, to say the least. Many there were disabled by war injuries, others by old age afflictions. All were heroes in mine and my son's eyes. After the bingo activity, my son and I took the opportunity to take one of these fine men outside in the fresh air. A navy vet from Vietnam, we took the time to talk with him about his classic cars, his home in Brainerd, his love of animals, and about his family, among other things. He seemed truly appreciative that we were there, and I vowed that I would take my greyhound back there tomorrow (the V.A. allows this, as long as you have a vet-certified note that shots, etc., are up to date).

My son and I left there, truly humbled and richer for the experience; but my experience with heroes for the day was far from over.

While getting the proper papers for my greyhound signed at the Vet clinic for tomorrow's V.A. excursion, I encountered another American hero by the name of SSG ARNG (Ret) Mike Mills. Scarred and maimed by an IED in 2005, SSG Mills, wearing an OIF cap, had a commanding presence about him. I approached SSG Mills, introduced myself, thanked him for his service and for his sacrifices, and explained to him that we had a son currently in Iraq. He gave me a card, and told me that he started a foundation to assist returning Iraq war veterans and their families called "For the Veterans, by a Veteran." SSG. Mills' mission?
My mission with FOR THE VETERAN...BY A VETERAN is to help you find the answers to the questions you where left with when you where medically discharged/retired. The whole process of being injured, going through recovery and trying to readjust to home is stressful enough. To have questions or to run in to a situation you're not sure where to get the answers just adds to that stress. I have built and continue to add resources to help you and you're family ease that some of the stress.

EMOTIONAL MISSION
Along with finding answers and helping with that stress, I feel I can help in another very important area. Dealing with the emotional baggage that came home with you. As I stated before, I'm not a counselor or have any training in that area, but I've had some of the same emotional issues and learned how to take control of it and not let it take control of me. It isn't an easy process, but you don't have to do it alone.
FAMILY MISSION
Your family members are not to be left out. Although this site is named FOR THE VETERAN...BY A VETERAN, we know first hand that everything that effects the soldier, effects the family as well. If you are a family member that needs assistance, we'll listen and do the best we can to take care of you and help you find what you need.
PUBLIC AWARENESS
Something that has been on my mind is the lack of correct information the public has concerning veterans. By reaching out through public and private speaking, I hope to better inform the american people of the needs that are not being met for the veterans no matter which war they were in or not in.

I had been invited to speak at two local schools to children of grade school ages. They had a certain understanding of what is happening in the world around them. I directed them away from the usual questions of curiosity about guns and shooting and spoke more about the positive accomplishments that where happening. We talked about how they could help the troops that are still over in country and the ones coming home.
I gave SSG. Mills a promise that I would spread the word. I'll soon have a permanent link on my sidebar, and I urge all who read this to please check out SSG. Mills' site and spread the word.

Today is a day I'll not soon forget.

Let us never forget.

****UPDATE****

I have designed a banner (now on the sidebar) with a link to SSG Mills' site. Please feel free to copy the banner to post on your own site, if you wish.

***UPDATE II***

I did go back to the V.A. with my greyhound today--if you have a calm, large dog (wheelchair height), please consider doing it! The guys lit up when they saw him!

BTW--I put an updated "For the Veteran, by a Veteran" button on my sidebar. The old one read: "For the Veteran, by the Veteran"

Again, feel free to copy the banner, and link the site to your blog or website.

-------------------------------------------