Thursday, March 01, 2007

Some people's kids...

While on my way to or from work, on the now re-routed Highway 23 between Cold Spring and Rockville, there's always a spot that drops my cell phone calls. This, of course, is from the cell network that claims that they have the least amount of dropped calls. I figured, therefore, that they'd have a vested interest in knowing where the dropouts are. Since I've been experiencing this same drop-out zone for four years, I got a little miffed. So I calls the operator:

OPERATOR: Welcome to Cingular Customer Service. How may I help you?

ME: Well, there's this dead spot that has been annoying me for a number of years now; I figured it would have been fixed by now, but it hasn't been.

OPERATOR: What is the address?

ME: On Highway 23, from just east of Rockville, to Cold Spring.

OPERATOR: I need a specific address.

ME: I don't have a specific address. It happens when I'm travelling on the highway.

OPERATOR: Sir, while you're driving, you travel between one cell to another and..

ME: Yes, I'm quite aware of that... but shouldn't the cells overlap?

OPERATOR: Sir, like I said, as you're driving you travel between one cell to another..

ME: Yes, like I said, I know that. But does that mean the call should drop dead? Look, you're the company that says that you have the fewest dropped calls... don't you want to know where the dead spots are?!?

OPERATOR: Okay, how about a zip code?

ME: I don't know the zip code for Rockville...

OPERATOR: Sir, I can't help you without a specific address or zip code...

ME: Look, you're supposed to be the network with the fewest dropped calls. I often make business calls while I'm travelling through that area and almost without fail, my calls get dropped.

OPERATOR: Have you tried powering your phone on and off?

ME: Look, lady-- please don't make me go through the stupid human tricks. It happens at the same place every time. It's not my phone.

OPERATOR: Sir, I can't help you if you don't help me diagnose the problem..

ME: Lady, you're not going to diagnose the problem by turning my cell phone off! It's a brand new phone! It also happened on the last three phones I've had. It happens at the same place every time. It's the same thing as a mechanic saying, "You got engine problems? Have you checked your wipers?" Now, are you going to address the problem or not? Can't you get some guy from Cingular to come out here with his cell phone to test it or something???

OPERATOR: What was that zip code again?

ME: GEEZE--I don't know the zip code! It's just outside of Rockville...

OPERATOR: Sir, I can't do anything without the zip code.

ME: Well then put me through to someone who can!

OPERATOR: There's no one else who can do it...:::sigh::: (aggravatedly) wait a minute.... (two minutes pass)

OPERATOR: Sir, I've put through a service ticket to check the coverage area.

ME: Yes, that's all I was asking for.....

OPERATOR: Thank you, sir, and have a good day.

ME: Grrrrrrrrrr....

--------------------------------------------------------------