Monday, February 27, 2006

A waste of a voice..

Say what you want about singer George Michael...IMO, he has one of those golden voices that come along only once in a generation. He not only sang the notes, he sold the song with the raw emotion that is all too absent with today's singers (I present the songs "Careless Whisper" and "A Different Corner" as evidence toward that assertion). In that vein, it's really a shame to read that Michael was recently caught in a drug bust:
Posted on Mon, Feb. 27, 2006
George Michael says arrest was his fault
Associated Press

LONDON - George Michael said his arrest for suspected drug possession in London this weekend was "my own stupid fault, as usual."

The 42-year-old pop singer was arrested Saturday after he was found slumped at the wheel of his car at Hyde Park Corner in central London.

He was bailed out and is to return to a police station next month.

"I was in possession of class C drugs which is an offense and I have no complaints about the police who were professional throughout," Michael - who rose to fame as half of the 1980s pop duo Wham! - said Monday in a statement.

"I have been through enough in 24 years of dealing with the media to know what I am in for from them this week," Michael's statement said. "Much of it will be inaccurate or simply untrue. I can handle that, it is my own stupid fault, as usual."

I never quite understood how people from John Belushi to Chris Farley to, yes, George Michael--people with more talent than they knew what to do with--can get their lives so messed up--like the high that goes with fame is never quite enough. But then again, I've never been blessed with that much talent.

Despite how it looks from the outside, it must be a horrible existence.


(Filed under miscellany)