Saturday, August 20, 2005

The Great Raid--A MUST SEE!

I just got back from seeing the true story of The Great Raid. I would recommend it without hesitation. There have been only a couple of movies in my lifetime at which I have ever cried at the end. This was one of them. I didn't cry because it was sad. I cried because I was so humbled at the bravery and sacrifices that were exacted of our brave men and women during WWII; especially with regard to the atrocities that took place during and after the Bataan Death March. When the U.S. was re-taking the Phillippines, rather than set prisoners free, it was the Japanese practice to herd them into air raid shelters and burn them alive, so none would be alive to be able to relate the atrocities committed by the Japanese. This was the story of the first Ranger platoon who risked life and limb against all odds to rescue over 500 prisoners from the Cabanatuan prison camp.

According to the movie site, it was supposed to be released in 2004. My guess is that it had a difficult time finding distribution because it pulled no punches in graphically recounting the atrocities inflicted by the Japanese.

If you see no other movie this year, see this one. And make sure to bring some friends.

****UPDATE****

Big thanks to Eagle and Elephant for linking this post. W. Suggests that we encourage as many people as possible to set aside time next weekend to see this movie, even twice. I heartily agree.