Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Music meme..."

Got this meme from Doug. Top 100 songs from the year you graduated (1978), strike the ones you don't like, highlight the good ones...

Here goes:

1. Shadow Dancing, Andy Gibb (Gag me with a coke spoon!)
2. Night Fever, Bee Gees (ibid)
3. You Light Up My Life, Debby Boone (I'm embarrassed to say I liked this one--reminds me of a date that I took to that movie)
4. Stayin' Alive, Bee Gees
5. Kiss You All Over, Exile (ultimate makeout song)
6. How Deep Is Your Love, Bee Gees
7. Baby Come Back, Player
8. (Love Is) Thicker Than Water, Andy Gibb
9. Boogie Oogie Oogie, A Taste Of Honey (are you getting the idea that I'm repulsed by this whole genre?)
10. Three Times A Lady, Commodores
11. Grease, Frankie Valli (pretty much anything from the movie)
12. I Go Crazy, Paul Davis
13. You're The One That I Want, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John
14. Emotion, Samantha Sang
15. Lay Down Sally, Eric Clapton
16. Miss You, Rolling Stones
17. Just The Way You Are, Billy Joel
18. With A Little Luck, Wings
19. If I Can't Have You, Yvonne Elliman
20. Dance, Dance, Dance (Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah), Chic (lame, lame, lame)
21. Feels So Good, Chuck Mangione
22. Hot Child In The City, Nick Gilder
23. Love Is Like Oxygen, Sweet
24. It's A Heartache, Bonnie Tyler (downright painful listening to that.. like Melissa Ethridge during a bout of bulemia)
25. We Are The Champions / We Will Rock You, Queen
26. Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty.. (I was blown away by the sax pieces!)
27. Can't Smile Without You, Barry Manilow (not much of a stomach for him, either)
28. Too Much, Too Little, Too Late, Johnny Mathis and Deniece Williams
29. Dance With Me, Peter Brown
30. Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad, Meat Loaf
31. Jack And Jill, Raydio
32. Take A Chance On Me, Abba
33. Sometimes When We Touch, Dan Hill
34. Last Dance, Donna Summer (yeah I know D.S. was a hottie, but the heinousness of her music still outweighed that)
35. Hopelessly Devoted To You, Olivia Newton-John (Just the sound of ONJ's voice was enough to make my heart (and other body parts) palpitate...)
36. Hot Blooded, Foreigner
37. You're In My Heart, Rod Stewart
38. The Closer I Get To You, Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway(.. probably one of music's most underrated duet teams...)
39. Dust In The Wind, Kansas (My first foray into existentialism)
40. Magnet And Steel, Walter Egan (again, reminds me of my first steady girlfriend)
41. Short People, Randy Newman (great song to tease others by)
42. Use Ta Be My Girl, O'Jays
43. Our Love, Natalie Cole
44. Love Will Find A Way, Pablo Cruise
45. An Everlasting Love, Andy Gibb
46. Love Is In The Air, John Paul Young
47. Goodbye Girl, David Gates
48. Slip Slidin' Away, Paul Simon (I still do a mean rendition of this song on my guitar)
49. The Groove Line, Heatwave
50. Thunder Island, Jay Ferguson (Every red blooded boy's fantasy song..)
51. Imaginary Lover, Atlanta Rhythm Section (kinky, yet intriguing..)
52. Still The Same, Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band
53. My Angel Baby, Toby Beau
54. Disco Inferno, Trammps
55. On Broadway, George Benson (the scat was really groovin' on this Drifter's Remake)
56. Come Sail Away, Styx (actually, I like Cartman's version better, but what the heck..this is 1978 we're talking about here)
57. Back In Love Again, L.T.D.
58. This Time I'm In It For Love, Player (one of Player's worst songs)
59. You Belong To Me, Carly Simon
60. Here You Come Again, Dolly Parton (goes without saying.. even with Dolly's "accessories.")
61. Blue Bayou, Linda Ronstadt
62. Peg, Steely Dan (This was a strange departure from the usual Steely Dan fare... but it grew on you.)
63. You Needed Me, Anne Murray
64. Shame, Evelyn "Champagne" King (Shame on this for making the Top 100)
65. Reminiscing, Little River Band (LOVED this tune... very catchy)
66. Count On Me, Jefferson Starship
67. Baby Hold On, Eddie Money (IMO, everything Eddie Money touched turned to gold.)
68. Hey Deanie, Shaun Cassidy(includes any other tune that Shaun Cassidy made)
69. Summer Nights, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-john (The veritable anthem of the summer of 78)
70. What's Your Name, Lynyrd Skynyrd (includes anything by Skynyrd)
71. Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue, Crystal Gayle (for the simple reason I loved Crystal Gayle's eyes and knee-length brunette hair--- sigh)
72. Because The Night, Patti Smith
73. Every Kinda People, Robert Palmer
74. Copacabana, Barry Manilow (I firmly believed that this song actually ruined stereos whenenver played.)
75. Always And Forever, Heatwave
76. You And I, Rick James
77. Serpentine Fire, Earth, Wind and Fire
78. Sentimental Lady, Bob Welch
79. Falling, LeBlanc and Carr
80. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood, Santa Esmeralda
81. Bluer Than Blue, Michael Johnson
82. Running On Empty, Jackson Browne (who could be anything other than mellow when listening to JB?)
83. Whenever I Call You "Friend", Kenny Loggins
84. Fool (If You Think It's Over), Chris Rea (I'm surprised this didn't rank higher. Catchy tune.)
85. Get Off, Foxy (Get off--get out of here--whatever!)
86. Sweet Talking Woman, Electric Light Orchestra (For some reason, always liked ELO.)
87. Life's Been Good, Joe Walsh... (another veritable anthem of '78.)
88. I Love The Night Life, Alicia Bridges (Q: How many times can you hear AB scream, "Ak SHAWWWN" without it being in emblazoned in your mind for the remainder of your lifetime? A: I don't know, but it happened.)
89. You Can't Turn Me Off (In The Middle Of Turning Me On), High Inergy
90. It's So Easy, Linda Ronstadt.. (another "hottie" factor going here)
91. Native New Yorker, Odyssey(Yawner of the year)
92. Flashlight, Parliament (don't even remember this one! But the band name even turns me off.)
93. Don't Look Back, Boston (One of the most jammin' bands of the 70s...)
94. Turn To Stone, Electric Light Orchestra (ibid)
95. I Can't Stand The Rain, Eruption
96. Ebony Eyes, Bob Welch
97. The Name Of The Game, Abba
98. We're All Alone, Rita Coolidge
99. Hollywood Nights, Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band (Liked everything by B.S. until "Old Time Rock N' Roll" was played into oblivion)
100. Deacon Blues, Steely Dan (ibid)