Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I wonder... I just wonder...

From here:
ROME (Reuters) - Over 380 towns around the world joined forces on Wednesday to condemn the death penalty, as the United States prepared to carry out its 1,000th execution since reinstating capital punishment 30 years ago.

Rome's Colosseum, Brussels' Atomium, Madrid's Santa Ana Square, Buenos Aires' Obelisk and the Moneda Palace in Santiago were being lit up as part of the "Cities for Life" initiative, according to the organizer, the Catholic Sant' Egidio Community in Rome.

Many of the other towns and cities that have signed up to the initiative -- around half of them in Italy -- were hosting vigils or rallies to mark the day.

"Capital punishment supports a culture of death instead of fighting it, and puts the state on the same level as those who kill," said Sant'Egidio spokesman Mario Marazziti.

Which brings me back to the topic...

I wonder, I just wonder, how many of those anti-death penalty folks--I am anti-death penalty, myself, although there are times when I find it tempting to promote it--but I digress. I wonder how many of those anti-death penalty folks are also against yet another death penalty imposed on people who have not committed any crimes, nor were afforded any due process whatsoever before their sentence was carried out...

I wonder.

(Filed under Defense of Life)