Friday, March 25, 2005

The Night Writer

..has an interesting take on the Schiavo matter. He points out a lot of parallels between the Schiavo case and the movie, The Passion:
This time last year I went to see "The Passion of the Christ" and I can still remember how difficult it was to watch the scourging and crucifixion of the innocent Christ and to witness the callousness and even fervor of his persecutors who were blind to what they were really doing. Even though I knew every bit of Jesus's suffering was for a just and vital cause, it was hard to look - but even harder to look away.

Though her situation is nowhere near as significant, I have had the same feelings of grief and frustration this week watching the Terri Schiavo passion play. Once again an innocent is flayed on the flimsiest of pretenses, but with a certain horrific inevitability. You have it all - betrayal, distortions, pride, prejudice, the midnight hearings, a fickle populace, the washing of hands. It even appears, again, as if the players have no choice but to play the parts assigned to them. Believe me, I want to look away, but I simply cannot.

I do believe that there is something metaphysical, and inevitable at play here. Although a horrible situation, I do believe that Divine Providence is taking hold. I also believe that just like many other dark chapters in Earth's history, this will turn out for the greater glory of God.