Tuesday, December 06, 2005

In the presence of heroes..

I stopped by the Whitney Senior Center in St. Cloud after work to witness an awesome event. Over 70 area National Guard soldiers returned from a one-year tour of Iraq this afternoon. As I stepped into the senior center, the room was filled, wall-to-wall with family, friends, and well-wishers. I managed to say my "thank yous" to a couple of the fine, brave men; some young, some not-so-young; however, for the most part I remained silent, clutching a miniature American flag. These men hadn't seen family or friends in over a year... I wasn't going to take one more minute of this precious time from them. So I just stood there.. and admired their bravery, and said a silent prayer for their continued happiness.

I pray for the same safe return of my son, when he comes home a year from February.


(Filed under heroes)