Friday, March 31, 2006

Kids and their trains...

One of my favorite Christmas presents I ever got was when I was eight years old--a Lionel Train set. I had a blast running that thing around in circles. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

Luckily, I grew up.

Can't say the same about our legislators, though:

$60 million for Northstar; it’s up to House

by T.W. Budig
ECM capitol reporter

Northstar Commuter Rail supporters told the House Transportation Finance Committee last week that the proposed line needed $60 million in bonding.

And in an emotional appeal reminiscent of an teenage girl saying she has to have money for new Calvin Kleins:

The money is “absolutely necessary,” said Bob McFarland, public affairs director for the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

It has to be $60 (million),” he said.

"..Ya haff ta give me 60 minutes, captain!! I haffta replace the dilithium crystals, and I'm not done drinkin' me Scotch Viskey!!!!"

Last session, the controversial rail project gained some $38 million in bonding.

Gov. Tim Pawlenty includes the final $60 million sought in capital cost by the project in his bonding proposal.

The Senate has also included the $60 million in its bonding bill.

And in some famous last words:

“I will not be back here next year after any additional money,” said Rep. Kathy Tingelstad, R-Andover, who’s carrying the commuter’s line bonding request in the House. (emphases added)

That statement has all the cred of a meth addict saying that this will be his last fix. Honest.

This has all the hallmarks of a money pit in the making.

But if I as a taxpayer am going to be footing the bill whether I like it or not, I want a chance to play with the locomotive.



(Filed under pass the pork)