Saturday, March 18, 2006

Man!! What a Ride!!!

I finally got out of St. Cloud last night at around 6:30 to make my semi-annual trek to Chicago to visit my dad... Usually, being a 7-9 hour drive and all, it's a pretty long journey. But last night's drive was more than exciting. I tuned into the evil neighbor to catch the Minnesota Golden Gopher vs. St. Cloud State in the Final Five--man, what a game! Tied, then Gophers up one, then tied, then St. Cloud State up three, then up two, then up one, then up two, only to be tied again with 14 seconds left in regulation. Then the Huskies come through to outlast the Gophs' 8-7 in overtime.

What made the game even more nailbiting was the fact that the game didn't end until I was near Wisconsin Dells--the "Evil Neighbor" kept on fading in and out, so I needed to keep on adjusting the volume on the radio to attempt to keep from missing the game. It sure was something that between periods the damn station came in clear as a bell, but then when play would resume, it would start fading in and out again! (Man--I remember as a child in Chicago laying in bed at night with my transistor radio, and WCCO would come in as clear as a bell).

But I did manage to catch every score, and cheered out loud with every goal that the Huskies scored (much to the protestations of my son, who was trying to sleep).

I finally pulled into my sister's house in Hoffman Estates at around 1:30am.. pretty exhausted and ready to crash.

Thanks, St. Cloud State--you helped make what would have been a mundane drive into a helluva experience!