Sunday, April 23, 2006

Jeffers--a real Republican?

From an email I received from the Jeffers camp:
Star Tribune - April 22- GOP hopes to block Pawlenty challenger Sue Jeffers
Sue Jeffers plans to announce next week that she will seek the party's endorsement for governor.

Read today's news:
http://www.startribune.com/587/story/386415.html

In the article it says "
She faces just one big obstacle: Top party officials say Jeffers is not a real Republican and are blocking her attempts to participate in the process."

Has Pawlenty been a "real Republican" with his fiscal policies? Sue would beg to differ.

Republicans have been trying to keep third parties out of elections, debates, and they will try to prevent Sue from getting the GOP endorsement.

Sue has a special request for you to write one letter to the Star Tribune Editorial Department with your feedback and support of Sue.
I just have two questions for Sue Jeffers:

1. If you are a "real republican", as you claim, why did you seek the endorsement of the Libertarian Party?

2. Are you going to seek the DFL endorsement next?

****UPDATE****

A reply I received from Jeffers...

I was a Republican for many years, as the party lost their way and became big government republicans it became hard to tell the difference between the two major parties. As I became more disenfranchised I looked to other options.
I am clearly the only fiscal conservative running in this race. I stand up for my principles and can stand up to the special interest groups. Leading Minnesota toward sound fiscal ideas and investments and getting our state off the list of the top ten highest taxed states will be a priority for my administration. I have not seen republicans do that in the last 4 years with a republican governor, a republican house and an evenly divided senate.
Yes, the democrats are also on my radar. They have a boatload of candidates running for office and all are part of the problem, not part of the solution. It is clear the two parties cannot solve the issue voters care about most. I will need the voters of all stripes to win this race.
Ironically, the republicans thought I was good enough to run for every other office as a republican, just not governor. Now they play insider games and try to change the rules on a whim. Well, those days are over and thankfully the general public will not tolerate those games. Many delegates are contacting me to say, although they may not vote for me, they do want to hear what I have to say.
If you are satisfied with the job Tim Pawlenty has done, vote for him. If not, join the crowd. I would also hope in the future you would have the courtesy to sign your name.
Sue Jeffers
My reply to Jeffers:

I apologize that I neglected to sign my name.

-Leo Pusateri-

Yes, I am satisfied with the job that Tim Pawlenty is done.

Is he perfect? No

Did he bring a 4 + billion dollar deficit to a surplus (which is now being translated into tax relief)--Yes.

Could anyone have done any better? I doubt it.

Here's the only thing I'm saying...

If you want a Republican endorsement, fine. But don't go running to another party first!
Another response from Jeffers:
...
Thank you Mr. Pusateri,
I appreciate you writing back with your name. I truly believe I can do a better job as governor and I also believe the party has let us down. We deserve better and cannot settle for less than the best.
We had the opportunity and we blew it. Many voters have become disillusioned and that will translate into another candidate wining. I often ask who would you rather see in the governors chair, Mike Hatch or me? When I am governor it will give both parties a chance to regroup and find their message.
I also understand how angry some get when they hear I went to another party, but not before trying to work with the Republicans. Politics can be a nasty game but we cannot settle for another four years of mediocrity.
Thank you,
Sue
...My response:
...Thank you for writing back, Ms. Jeffers...

To tell you the truth, as a Republican delegate I was put off by your choice to seek the Libertarian Party endorsement. You may have had trouble with the leadership, but you could have always have gone to the delegates.
And yet another response from Jeffers:
I have been working with some delegates, many have called and written over the last few months. They share your opinion but also believe we can do much better.
When I announced some Republicans were angry, some reluctant, some excited...I understand all the feelings. It was a very hard decision for me to make. I worked on Tim Pawlenty's campaign and he has been into my bar and restaurant.
The status quo has let us down and it is always easy to direct the anger, frustration or what ever feelings, to the easy target. That target was me. I hope it wakes people up that we can do better, we deserve better and we cannot settle.
While I still don't have the delegate list I will be able to speak at half of the endorsement conventions thanks to delegates who have contacted me. It is a start. One even told me, I won't vote for you but you should be allowed to speak.
If you would like to get together and chat, let me know or give me a call.
Thanks,
Sue
(Filed under RINOs, elections)