Monday, April 10, 2006

A response from Senator Coleman...

Here is a response to this letter that I sent to our Minnesota elected legislators..

Dear Mr. Pusateri (Jr.) :

Thank you for taking the time to contact me concerning lowering the military retirement pay age for National Guardsmen and Reservists from 60 to 55.


I am a cosponsor of the Guard and Reserve Readiness and Retention Act of 2005 (S. 337), introduced by Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) and referred to the Senate Committee on Armed Services. S. 337 would make individuals eligible for retired pay for non-regular military service if they satisfied one of the specified combinations of minimum age (between 53 and 60) and years of service (between 20 and 34)


On March 16, 2005, Senator Jon Corzine (D-NJ) introduced S. 639 and it was referred to the Senate Committee on Armed Services. This legislation would reduce the minimum age from 60 to 55 for the receipt of military retired pay for non-regular service.


I will do all that I can to further the progress on this important issue.


Given your strong interest in Veterans issues, I want to update you on my efforts in the 108th and 109th Congresses to assist our nation's veterans. In the 108th Congress, we passed legislation bringing veterans closer to full concurrent receipt of military pay and VA compensation. Importantly, we also eliminated the concurrent receipt phase-in period for veterans who are 100% disabled. Additionally, we approved a measure ending the reduction in Survivor Benefit Plan payments when a widow reaches 62. I supported all three measures



Veterans are of great importance to me. My grandfather was a Silver Star and a Purple Heart recipient for his service in World War I, and my father received the Purple Heart after being wounded in the Battle of the Bulge in World War II. I am proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with those whose service and sacrifice has made our country the greatest nation on earth.


I appreciate hearing from you and hope you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,

A

Norm Coleman

United States Senate


P.S. Due to increased security precautions, mail delivery to the U.S. Senate may be unpredictably delayed by days or weeks. I apologize for the delay in receiving and responding to your letter.


(Ed note: Heh--I din't know an email had security risks--I guess even email is snail-mailed there)


(Filed under Heroes)