Wednesday, March 01, 2006

In a supreme example... of "CYA"

From here:
PHILADELPHIA -- Police have confirmed that a white substance found in 18 bags brought to a southwest Philadelphia school by a 7-year-old girl is cocaine.

Patterson Elementary School officials said that plastic bags of cocaine were found inside a second-grade classroom and that some of the students ate the drugs.

Parents want to know if school officials are handling the situation properly.

At least one child ingested some of the drugs and another child was taken to a hospital late Tuesday afternoon to be checked out.

"I was upset because they didn't call me and tell me what was going on," said Shinette Brown, a parent of one of the students affected.

"My daughter is scared to come to school," said Catalina Starling, a mother of one of the students in the classroom.

Both parents said that the drugs were passed around the classroom.

"I ate it. I asked, 'What is it?' I spit it out and I was like, 'What is it?'" said Shaniya Brown, 7.

"I took her to the hospital because she said when they were in there, when she took it, she started shaking and she couldn't stop shaking," a student's mother said.

Starling's daughter, Tracey, said that she passed up the bag given to her by a classmate

What is even more amazing is the following:
Parents told NBC 10 News that officials at the school had some of the second-graders write out incident statements about what happened without their parents present .
C'mon... Second graders? Writing out incident reports?. Have you ever seen a paragraph written by a second grader? And to top it off, without their parents being present and/or notified beforehand? If my second-grade child (sadly, don't have any more little ones) ingests cocaine, you better damn well be sure to call me post-haste!

And on another note, how much do you want to bet that nothing of consequence happens to the parents of the girl who brought <s>their</s> cocaine to school?


(filed under miscellany)